Monday, April 27, 2009

SB Recommended Film: The Soloist


The Moms and I saw The Soloist yesterday. It was the best, most entertaining couple of hours I have spent in a movie theater in awhile. Highly recommended.

Both Jaime Foxx and Robert Downey were unsurprisingly terrific. There are a couple of actors that I will run right out opening weekend and pay an outrageous ticket price to see their films. Robert Downey is one of them. Sometimes, I forget what a fine actor he actually is, because he makes it look so easy and natural. His face is able to register exactly what his character is feeling very subtly. I guess we have similar senses of humor, too, because he never fails to make me laugh.

Anyway, the reviews I read on The Soloist before I went to see it were lukewarm. The reviewers mainly said that the actors were great, as expected, but the script was a little too sentimental and predictable. I like sentimental in this unsentimental time in which we live. The movie centers around the power of friendship and how, sometimes, the most important thing you can do as a friend is simply to show up and be present.

Two thumbs up, motherfuckers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haven't seen this film yet but I definitely plan to do so. I share your enthusiasm for the acting skills of Robert Downey, Jr. What do critics know? They're just people who get paid to talk about movies; it doesn't mean that they know anything worth saying. Thanks for the review.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

You're welcome, Sheria. Thanks for reading.

SB