Monday, July 25, 2011

Quote of the Damn Day for Amy

I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another p***ed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a f****** genius.

--Russell Brand

6 comments:

Mel's Way or No Way said...

The crazy thing is just a week before this A asked me if she were still alive and I said "yeah, I think so, but it could be any day now". Sorry I was right.

Syd said...

I thought she was fabulous in many ways.

Vix said...

She was a fucking genius and I hope she's finally found peace. I'm honoured to have seen her play live on a number of occasions and her voice was amazing.
Love you. x

Jeannie said...

There but by the grace of God - and lack of talent - and inability to sustain an addiction to anything - go I.

Steph(anie) said...

Amen, Russell.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Mel,
I always thought the same thing about her. And Robert Downey. Thank God his fate has been different. He is my favorite actor.

Love to you and A.,

SB

Syd,
Me too. What a damn voice.

Vix,
I feel the same way. You are indeed lucky to have seen her perform.

Jeannie,
You and me both, love.

Steph,
Yeah, I liked what he wrote.

Love to all,

SB